Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I don't know where the Prophet is going


This guy has given me a few things to think about lately.

The other night while I was laying down with him at bedtime, (he still cons me into laying down "just for a few minutes" almost every night - and it's my favorite few minutes of the day), we were listening to the Primary songs and "Follow the Prophet" was playing.

He said, "I don't know where the Prophet is going."

Well, I thought that was pretty funny and laughed. But he was serious.

He knows this song. He's heard it and sang it a hundred times. It struck me that he was really listening to and thinking about the words of this song. It's a profound moment when you realize that your baby is no longer just an extension of yourself, with independent thoughts and points of view.

It's also eye-opening when you finally understand that kids really do hear things differently than adults do.

So in a few days, we will sit down and talk a little more specifically, in 'five-year-old-ese', about where exactly the Prophet is going, and why we follow him ...

No comments: