Monday, June 2, 2008

Repentance Soup


The other morning I had waffles for breakfast. Lots of them... 'cause who can throw out perfectly good waffle batter, right? With butter. Lots of it. and syrup... you get the picture. This led to my having to wear my stretchy elastic-waist "mother of many" pants instead of my chic flat-front slim pants as planned (size 2(!) (yes , I know Chico's has their own sizing system for us 'real' people, but I still get a kick out of saying "size 2" if the opportunity comes along).

Anyway, I just spent a week with my Mom last month and lost four pounds by doing nothing more than just eating the same things she did (she has lost 50 pounds (and counting) on Weight Watchers (woohoo Mom!)).

Since I've been home, I've tried really hard to keep going and stumbling here and there but still doing pretty well, I think (I don't have a scale - no room - my bathroom is, in actuality, what the English call a "water closet," and I'm lucky if I can turn around in there, but I digress...)

So, a little sliding here and there but no major freefalls. Until the "waffle incident".

Here is how I plan to rectify the problem. This soup is really good- even BT likes it. I use whatever veggies I have and chicken broth instead of vegetable, beause that's what I have. A bowl for lunch and a cup before dinner will put me back on track in no time - and with all these veggies, I feel soo healthy!


POINTS® Value: 0
Servings: 12
Preparation Time: 50 min
Cooking Time: 13 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Some say that this soup is the secret to their weight-loss success. Cook up a pot and keep it in the fridge for snacks or an appetizer.

Ingredients

2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 medium onion(s), diced
2 medium carrot(s), diced
1 medium sweet red pepper(s), diced
1 medium stalk celery, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
2 cup green cabbage, shredded
2 cup Swiss chard, chopped
2 cup cauliflower, small florets
2 cup broccoli, small florets
2 tsp thyme, fresh, chopped
6 cup vegetable broth
2 Tbsp parsley, or chives, fresh, chopped 1
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional


Put garlic, vegetables, thyme and broth into a large soup pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.Stir in parsley or chives; season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

No comments: