Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Brave Little Camper

Tonight Orca had invited a friend for a sleepover, which our girls do on a regular basis. When the lights were out and the last bathroom and drink run had finally been made, my husband and I heard a light tap at the bedroom door. It became apparent that the friend was homesick and wanted to go home. Ok, no biggie. Call the mom, wait a while for the pick up, go back to bed.

It then dawned on me just how brave my little 7 year old is.

I don't believe I ever went to sleepover camp before I was at least 12.

But our Orca was so excited to get the opportunity to go to sailing camp
this summer and had no qualms about being so far away from home (about 3 hours!) with camp counselors she had never met, and in a place she had never been before.



On top of that, I had to make an unexpected trip across the country and she had to catch a ride to camp with another camper's mom. (Yes, I missed my baby's big 'camp send-off'.... and the long worry-laden post drop-off ride home-maybe that was a good thing.)


Meanwhile Big T was virtually incommunicado doing his own camping thing with the other girls. So the potential for disaster was big - growing my worries exponentially.


After all,


This is the girl that I turned over to a surgeon when she was 3 days old.


This is the girl who was given a devastating diagnosis after that surgery.


This is the girl that overcame it and baffled her doctors with her progress.



This is our miracle girl.



She has faced things much scarier than going off to camp.





And it looks like she had a blast!

No comments: